Have you ever had the butter cake from California Pizza Kitchen? If not, you should.
Then, if you love it as much as I do, you should make it at home with this recipe. It’s not exactly like the butter cake from CPK (it never is), but it’s pretty darn close.
And of course, I add condensed milk to my butter cake recipe because every dessert is better with condensed milk.
Keep in mind, at CPK the cakes are made individually and not a large cake for many people like this.
For cake pans, I suggest using this set for less than $20 on Amazon. This recipe is for one 9-inch cake pan, however, the butter cake from CPK is made in a smaller cake pan.
With these, the only thing that changes in this recipe is the cooking time if you use the smaller 4-inch or 7-inch pan. The cooking time will be much less, but your butter cake will be more similar to the one at CPK since their portions are much smaller than 9-inches.
Butter Cake Ingredients
- 2 1/2 sticks of butter (softened)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of milk (you can substitute a thicker milk, like buttermilk)
- 1/4 cup of condensed milk (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
Butter Cake Directions
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Use non-stick spray or butter the bottom of a round cake pan (mine is about 9 inches)
- Sprinkle some sugar on the bottom of the pan
- Mix all of the ingredients (in the order listed) in a mixer. Note: As you add each item to the mixer you should be mixing them one by one – not waiting until the end to mix them all together.
- softened butter
- vanilla extract
- condensed milk (optional)
- baking powder
- Pour mixture into cake pan
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean
At the restaurant, it’s served warm with vanilla ice cream on top. I highly recommend eating it this way… sooooo good!
It’s so easy, even a three-year-old can make it. Seriously, click here to see if you didn’t watch the video!
If you like this post, I suggest checking out my recipe for banana bread. It’s my favorite!