Let us add a new dish to your platter this season – a golumpki recipe.
You can call it golumpki, golabki, gwumpki, stuffed cabbage leaves of cabbage casserole.
Some even call it “pigs in a blanket”.
It is a staple food in most Slovak, Polish, and Ukranian homes and a specialty dish during Christmas.
Golumpki Recipe Preparation Time
1 ½ hours (30 mins preparation, 90 mins cooking)
Golumpki Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cabbage head, cored
- 1 large onion chopped
- ½ cup minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped spring onions
- ½ cup ground beef
- ½ cup ground pork
- 1 ½ cups cooked white rice
- Cooking oil
Golumpki Recipe Garnishing Ingredients
Choose any one from the following:
- Sour cream
- Tomato sauce
- Beef stock
- Tomato soup
- Ground black pepper and salt
Golumpki Recipe Directions
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Steam the whole cabbage till leaves are properly cooked
- Take out from the steamer and separate each leaf
- Remove the hard mid-rib from the large leaves
- Take a skillet and add some oil
- Sauté the chopped onions till golden brown
- In a mixing container, take all the remaining ingredients and mix well
- Take a large cabbage leaf and place about a teaspoon of the mixture in it
- Start rolling from sides and fold the mixture completely inside the leaf
- Place the remaining small and broken leaves at the base of the baking pan
- Put all the rolls in the baking pan
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oil and cover with aluminum foil
- Cook covered for one hour
Note: You can add beaten eggs to the mixture.
Also, you can pour meat stock or tomato juice before placing it in the oven for added moisture.
For the most popular recipe on this blog, butter cake, click here.