Vodka and ginger beer in a copper mug is known as a Moscow mule. Except for the vodka, the Moscow mule is as American as it gets.
The reason the drink is served in copper mugs is because copper, being a good conductor of heat, makes it cooler and more refreshing to drink as opposed to drinking from a regular glass.
To really perfect this recipe, I suggest buying this set of four Moscow mule mugs on Amazon with straws and a jigger for just $32. If you want a mug branded with the Tito’s vodka logo as shown below, click here. (FYI, these are affiliate links.)
American Moscow Mule Cocktail Recipe with Tito’s
Classic Moscow Mule Cocktail Ingredients
- Tito’s Handmade Vodka (it’s the best vodka for this classic cocktail) – 1 and ½ ounces
- Ginger Beer – ½ cup (If you are not comfortable with the strong flavor of spicy ginger beer, feel free to replace it with ginger ale, which is milder but still gives you ginger flavor.)
- Lime Juice – ½ ounce, freshly squeezed
- Copper Mug – one
- Fresh Lime Wedge – one
- Ice – Lots of it
Classic Moscow Mule Cocktail Directions
- Mix all the ingredients in the copper mug and stir it once.
- Add ice to it and stick a fresh lime wedge or a couple of lime slices on the edge of the mug.
- Enjoy your delicious cocktail!
Pro tip: Add a splash of lemon juice, cranberry juice, fresh cranberries, or simple syrup for some cranberry Moscow mules with lime wedges. It’s a good idea to add other flavors to this original recipe to make a Moscow mule variation of this popular cocktail. Two include a strawberry Moscow mule recipe and a cherry Moscow mule recipe – all in a copper cup, of course. (But a regular cocktail glass or rocks glass would work too.)
What are your favorite cocktail recipes? What kind of fun twists do you add to your original Moscow mule recipe to make it a great drink? Whether you’re whipping up fizzy drinks, a Moscow mule recipe variation like cherry limeade Moscow mules mentioned above, or just making summertime cocktails for hot summer days, I wish you lots of good times!
Take a picture of you in a cheers pose with a fun copper mug and send it to me on Instagram at @ChristinaAllDay.
For the most popular recipe here, butter cake just like the one you order at CPK, click here.