Nothing beats a home-cooked meal. Am I right? If you put in the time and practice, the taste beats outside food almost all the time. (Just ask my husband.) Not to mention, making a good home-cooked meal makes you feel like you accomplished something great because it’s not easy. (Trust me, I know.)
Smothered Baked Turkey Wings Recipe
This turkey wings recipe (not chicken wings, although those could be substituted) includes simple ingredients and could be a hit for Sunday dinner or even Thanksgiving dinner. It can also be something you make with leftovers from your whole turkey the next day.
In this easy recipe, we’re making everything from scratch.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
- Servings: 3
Roast Turkey Wing Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 lbs. of turkey wings
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of chicken broth or turkey stock
- 2 stalks of celery
- Chopped onion
- Chopped bell pepper
- Kosher salt and black pepper
Roast Turkey Wing Recipe Directions:
- To begin preparing the turkey wings meal, you will need to preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using cool water, rinse the turkey and then pat it dry.
- First, gather the following seasonings to create a dry rub: salt, pepper, sage, garlic powder, thyme, and onion powder. Mix them and rub the seasoning all over the turkey meat.
- Next, coat the turkey legs and turkey drumsticks with flour. Sprinkle some flour into a large freezer bag. Then, place the whole wings inside and close.
- Shake the bag until the turkey has a coat of flour all over. (Save any excess flour for the gray recipe below!)
- Next, you will need to brown the surface of the turkey. So, take a baking pan and add 3 Tablespoons of olive oil along with 2 Tablespoons of butter. Use medium heat to heat the oil and melt the butter.
- Once they are hot, it’s time to add the turkey to brown the surface of the turkey on the stove.
- Then, transfer the turkey into a large baking dish or casserole dish.
- Toss the chopped vegetables into the pan. You can use season salt and black pepper with the fresh herbs if you’d like. Cook the vegetables over medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the veggies into the baking dish with the turkey wings. (You can keep the oil and butter mixture. It will come in handy for the homemade gravy!)
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Put the dish into the preheated oven and bake at a slow roast for two hours at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Roast Turkey Wings Gravy Directions:
- Using the same oil and butter mixture from before, heat it again over medium heat.
- Once it’s hot, sprinkle the leftover flour from the previous steps above.
- Stir the mixture until it’s brown.
- Mix in chicken broth or turkey stock and continue stirring.
- Now, you can pour in milk, cream, or half and half – your choice!
- Keep stirring until it is well mixed.
- As it cooks over medium heat, it should thicken up.
- Smother the turkey with this gravy. This is what makes the roast turkey wings recipe a smothered turkey wings recipe.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil again and put it back in the oven for an additional hour and a half until the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take the tender turkey wings out of the oven and let the recipe cool.
- Unwrap, serve, and enjoy!
Baked Turkey Wings Mushroom Gravy
Sometimes regular gravy doesn’t cut it, so maybe you want to mix it up. Using the same roast turkey wings made above, you can substitute the gravy with a mushroom flavor. Follow along until the part where you have to smother the turkey wings. From there, you will need a couple more ingredients.
Mushroom Gravy Additional Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms (drained)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley (minced)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onions (finely chopped)
- 10 and 1/2 ounces mushroom gravy (canned)
Mushroom Gravy Directions
- Using medium heat, combine cornstarch and water in a small saucepan and stir it until it’s smooth.
- Let it boil while stirring for a couple of minutes until it thickens.
- Then, add the gravy, garlic powder, parsley, mushrooms, and onion.
- Once it’s ready, smother the wings with it.
- Cover the wings with aluminum foil again and bake them for an additional hour.
- Now, you can enjoy your smothered baked turkey wings with mushroom gravy!
Spicy Smothered Turkey Wings
Let’s try one more recipe to spice up this turkey wings recipe. Literally!
Spicy Smothered Turkey Wings Ingredients
- Turkey wings
- 2 Tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- Sliced onion
- Sliced bell pepper
- 1/2 stick of softened butter
Spicy Smothered Turkey Wings Directions
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the wings and then pat dry so they’re at room temperature.
- Mix the spice blend in a large bowl. Then, coat the turkey meat with it.
- Coat a large roasting pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Transfer your seasoned wings onto the pan.
- Then, add onions, bell pepper, and butter to the pan.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake it for an hour and 15 minutes.
- Take the wings out and uncover them.
- Drain the turkey drippings into a measuring cup to use it for the gravy.
- Finally, place the pan with turkey wings back into the oven.
Turkey Wings Gravy Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 Cups of chicken stock or turkey broth
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
Turkey Wings Gravy Directions
- Pour half of the turkey drippings into a pot on medium-high heat.
- Add flour and whisk it together for a couple of minutes.
- Slowly, pour in the rest of the turkey drippings and add garlic and onion powders.
- Stir the mixture for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Once it is ready, pour it over the wings and bake for 30-40 more minutes. It could take more time or less time, depending on the size of your wings, so just check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer.
- Serve and enjoy your spicy smothered turkey wings!
Let me know how you like your smothered baked turkey wings recipe on Instagram at @ChristinaAllDay. Maybe it’s more hot sauce, turkey breast instead of juicy turkey wings, or maybe it’s just a matter of serving it with white rice and collard greens. Tell me how you’re making these easy-baked turkey wings with delicious gravy.