If you’re planning a short trip or a weekend getaway, then a duffel bag will do… but what do you put in it?
In this blog post, I’m going to share my best tips on how to not only pack light but also make sure all the important things make it on the trip.
I’ve also made a list you can save here to use for all of your short weekend trips to come. Using a weekend trip packing list like this is a great way never to forget a thing.
Before we get started, click here for my favorite luggage, click here for packing cubes if you love an extra space in your weekend bag, and click here for a belt bag in a variety of colors so you can go hands-free while you travel.
It’s a good idea to check the weather forecast before you leave. (Maybe you’ll need a rain jacket!)
One more thing: Some things I will not include on this list are things you can find in a hotel room like soap, body wash, shampoo, and conditioner.
- A couple of shirts (it’s essential to have one extra, just in case)
- Dress (if evening wear is on the schedule, like a wedding)
- Pair of jeans (or shorts for warm weather)
- Pair of pants (or shorts for warm weather)
- Denim jacket (because they go with just about everything)
- One pair of shoes (if you’re not doing anything too special or out of the ordinary)
- Two pairs of shoes (if you have a formal event or a nice dinner planned)
- NOTE: Remember you are traveling with shoes on your feet. If those aren’t comfortable shoes, then make sure the ones you pack are. There is nothing worse than having sore feet from the more than usual walking.
- Flip flops (assuming you’re going somewhere warm)
- Bra, underwear, and socks
When it comes to packing a travel wardrobe, I like to stick to the same color scheme or stick to neutral colors. You don’t need to bring as much to match this way because it all goes together.
Skincare & Haircare
- Your skincare regimen
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair dryer
- Hairbrush and comb
- Hair bands and bobby pins
- Body lotion
- Nail clippers and file
- Lip balm or Chapstick (Click here for my favorites.)
- Hand sanitizer
Ideally, having a toiletry bag or Dopp kit or two would be perfect for all of the above.
To make it all fit, you can travel with smaller sizes by purchasing this 16-pack of travel bottle sets. These don’t take up a lot of space and is a favorite pro tip of mine. It also makes going through airport security a breeze if these are in your carry-on.
- Laptop or tablet
- Laptop charger or tablet charger
- Phone charger
- Kindle charger
- Earbuds or headphones
- Important documents like passports, COVID vaccination cards, credit cards, etc.
- Plastic bags to carry extra shoes in or bring home dirty clothes
- Reuseable water bottle (This is perfect for a road trip.)
Obviously, this is a very generic weekend packing list, but it’s a great starting point. For some more specific things, like a ski trip, a short business trip in a specific city, or wine tasting during a certain time of year, your travel packing may look a little different.
So, where are you off to next? Tell me about your next trip on Instagram at @ChristinaAllDay.