Scrapple can be served in multiple ways – sweet, plain, or savory.
This scrapple recipe dates back to the European region during the pre-Roman era and is a descendant of a dish from the Low German-speaking area known as Panhas.
Scrapple Recipe Preparation Time
A scrapple serving of eight patties needs around half an hour to prepare. However, the patties need to be chilled overnight for perfect results.
Scrapple Recipe Ingredients
- Pork Sausages – 1.5 pounds, minced
- Condensed Milk – 1 can or 14 ounces, sweetened
- Yellow Cornmeal – 1 cup
- Black Pepper – 1/8 of a teaspoon, grounded coarsely
- Salt to taste
- Butter – 1 tablespoon
Scrapple Recipe Directions
- In a skillet, pour some water and cook the sausage over a medium-high flame until it turns to an even brown.
- Drain the stock so that the sausage breaks into small pieces resembling peas. The stock needs to be saved.
- Now, pour the condensed milk in the skillet and boil to a bubble.
- Add the meat, cornmeal, and pepper and let it simmer for five minutes. The ingredients must be stirred continuously.
- When the mixture turns to a stiff mush, pour it into a loaf pan refrigerate overnight.
- Now, cut the solid chilled mixture into desirable pieces and shallow fry them in clarified butter.
- When they turn golden brown, serve them with the sauce of your choice.
For the most popular recipe on this blog, butter cake, click here.